Monday, July 30, 2012

Short report

Main tube with squeeze out epoxy removed, and with the was paper rolls still inside, weighs 916 grams.
I am guessing the wax paper weighs 20 grams, based on the one I did not use weighing about 7 grams.

The tube sections weigh 566 grams, the sleeve fabric 192 grams. 916 - 566 = 350.
350 - 192 - 20 (wax paper estimate) = 138 epoxy
total epoxy, fabric =330
% resin to total weight = 138 / 330 = 41.82 %

The holy grail ratio is 70 / 30. 55 / 45 was my goal.

 I saturate the cloth with in excess of 100% fabric weight, and  with short bladders got little squeeze out, I am surprised. I got lots of squeeze out, so much that the tube was glued to the bench, despite that it was on 3/16" spacers.

The only explanation for why more epoxy did not get trapped inside the main tube, would be as follows.

The expanded inner tube is pressing the wax paper against the inside wall. Sealing the ends of the wet fabric roll, the only place it can go is out the joints which it did in spades.  This was not expected.

And I am happy it worked out this way.

I'm pretty sure I can get most of the wax paper out with water / alcohol mix, and a 2" OD wire tube brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment